March 15, 2012

The Pursuit of Perfect Kids

I read a blog post today from Proverbs 31 Ministries that really hit home for me. The author talks about her strong willed daughter and her need to conform and contain her in to the child that SHE wanted her to be; not the child that God wanted her to be. I can relate. We've all had those moments when our little ones are precious little angels...so obedient, so loving to each other, so perfect. We feel like, "Hey! I'm doing OK here! I'm raising good kids!" Then 5 minutes later, someones spills his juice, takes his shirt off, takes his brother's toy, cries and throws a fit...the list goes on. I quickly become a referee and feel the need for more coffee. It's in those moments that I have to look at each one of my boys who are so different and remember, God made their personalities unique and special. They aren't cookie cutter children. They aren't always going to conform to what mommy wants them to be. I want them to conform to who God wants them to be. Those personality traits that I see as challenges, He sees as opportunities for growth in my boys. I know the day will come when God will use Aidan's "assertiveness (a.k.a. first born ultra bossiness) to His glory to lead other's to Christ. I know God will use Liam's determination (a.k.a. extreme stubbornness) to accomplish any goal he sets out to achieve. I know He will use Ian Michael in big ways too...at the moment, he is 11 months and goes after anything and everything his brothers are doing. He is never put off by a look of annoyance or having Lightening McQueen pulled from his chubby fingers a million times. He happily goes right back to be with his brothers. I see him being the kind of friend that is loyal and loving. What a joy these 3 boys are to me...to see them grow and blossom in to who God intends for them to be is the biggest blessing and privilege! Be encouraged today -- do your best with your kids and let God do the rest! When they are good, be thankful. When they are not at their best, use it as moments to lead and guide them in the right direction. Allow God to shape and mold you too as you pour into your little ones. I am most definitely changing and growing with them!
Proverbs 31: Encouragement for Today

No comments:

Post a Comment